Saturday, August 6, 2011

I See London, I See France, I Shouldn't See Your Underpants

Call me a prude, old-fashioned, ultra-conservative, or merely classy, but I don't believe underwear is appropriate visible attire in public. I don't care if your bra is cute, color-coordinated, or making a statement, it isn't attractive or respectable to have your bra straps showing. If you want to wear that strapless dress or halter top, or if your tank cuts in past where the straps go, get a strapless bra. Similarly, if you insist on wearing those very low-cut jeans, keep in mind that when you even THINK about bending forward, your bottom- at least a portion of it- is exposed. It is an unfortunate happenstance in the world of fashion that thong panties became popular just as jeans became 'low-rise,' and we've all had to endure dinner out while trying to ignore the tops of thongs peeking out above someone's jeans. Again, we do not want to see your underwear!

I have a firm rule when I'm advising students as to appropriate attire: We should not wonder if you're wearing underwear, we should not have to wonder if you're wearing underwear, and we should not be forced to look at your underwear. I don't know what's worse- seeing someone's thong when they bend over, or seeing their exposed buttocks and having to wonder WHERE the underwear is! These rules apply to men as well, as far as respectable folks are concerned. Please, people, keep your foundational clothing where it belongs- UNDER your clothing, in a supportive role.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, you're a girl after my own heart! I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete