Friday, August 26, 2011

To Everything, Turn, Turn, Turn

I have decided I like the way we now refer to the different times in our lives as ‘seasons.’ I don't remember hearing this used in this way until the last few years. Somehow, the word ‘seasons’ seems softer, gentler, easier to handle perhaps than a 'phase' or a 'stage.' That’s why you go through a season when your children go to school, you struggle with an illness, or you need to deal with aging parents, but your teenagers are going through a STAGE. As a musician, I can easily think of concert or performance seasons when I hear the word, and that is always a positive. Seasons, too, are by definition relatively short periods of time. Of course, also by definition, they are going to come around again.

I have often defined my life as moving from one big event to another, and I’m sure many of you feel the same way. What is this mysterious feeling we get that has us both awaiting the next event with great anticipation and grieving the ending of the last event – or season? Why is it that we are either desperately longing for change or mourning the change upon us?
We wouldn’t want to live in the honeymoon stage of our marriages for a lifetime. Morrow and I would still be eating pan-fried SPAM and Beanie-Weenies, for goodness’ sake! We wouldn’t want our children to remain adorable toddlers. Remember that ‘season’ of several years when you either hired a sitter or you didn’t go out to eat-- or anywhere else much, for that matter? Remember when you worked so hard with your children to teach them to speak clearly and understand directions and write their name? Remember how proud and pleased we were when they said “thank you” and “please”? Why does it hurt so much to see them grow up while it at once thrills us to know they are becoming successful, contributing members of society?

I’ve been pondering this a lot lately. Our older daughter is happily involved already in her sophomore year of college. Our younger daughter is very involved in multiple school, sports and church activities, and a good deal of our time with her involves text messages communication or our cheering her on from the stands. We have a lot of quiet evenings at home now, as we watch our children function positively without us. We still contribute to their lives, of course, and I don’t just mean financially. It is touching when they do have to call on us for help or advice. I think one thing that makes it such an interesting season for me is that, aside from the arthritis and general age-related things that cause my body to feel ancient (and I won’t even mention hot flashes), I really don’t feel any older than my daughters are now. I remember being that age, so how in the world could the babies I carried and bore be this old?

And where does that leave me now? What does a mom do with herself when her children become independent? Well, I’ve said this before, but I remind myself of it regularly: If I believe that God is sovereign (and I do), then I cannot doubt His sovereignty when circumstances seem unclear. I had a confirmation just yesterday that I am where I need to be, doing what I need to be doing, right now in my life—just as something I wished I were doing and dearly want to do is not available to me right now. No doubts. I will proceed with JOY and FAITH in His sovereignty and His guidance in the lives of my family and in my life and in every SEASON.

No comments:

Post a Comment